I almost fell for a scam today! 😞😞😞 I want to share my story in case it happens to you, beware!
A person messaged me through Instagram saying they really wanted to purchase my painting Split Personality, of course I was elated!
After a couple of exchanges, she agreed on the price and shipping costs and she asked for my email so she could send me money via PayPal, very eagerly, I noticed.
Immediately after I gave her my email, I got a text from PayPal with a code that said “do not share this with anyone” then, she texted me asking for that code! 🤔 Then, she started calling me, through the Instagram app, pressuring me for the code. I didn’t answer. This is not my first rodeo!
If I had given her that code, she would have wiped out my bank account. I can see how it might work, but don’t fall for it, pay attention to any red flags and always trust your instincts! 😉
Here’s some of the “red flags” that caught my attention, small details add up!
- She only communicated via private message through Instagram and under a generic name
- She wasn’t following my account
- Her Instagram account said she was in London, but she said her shipping address was in Texas?
- She didn’t haggle about the price or the shipping cost, which wasn’t cheap!
- She was really aggressive when asking for the code, it was urgent! (before I had time to research)
- She agreed to the price quickly, no questions asked 🤔
- She didn’t ask for additional details or photos of the painting
There’s a lot of good people in the world, but also a lot of bad guys, please be cautious my friends!